Sausage and flower sprout hot pot with a Chopin potato top
Winter comfort food guaranteed to please the whole family. A delicious, hearty dish using the innovative new flower sprout vegetable.
8 good quality pork sausages
1 onion, diced
1 leek, thickly sliced
2 carrots, thickly sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
500ml beef stock
160g flower sprouts, trimmed
4 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves, picked off
500g Chopin potatoes, sliced
Knob of butter
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
- In a large casserole dish, brown the sausages on all sides then remove frmo the pan and set aside
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften (add a splash of oil if little fat has come out of the sausages)
- Add the leeks and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for another minute, then stir in the tomato puree and pour in the stock, stirring all the time to prevent lumps.
- Add the sprouts and thyme and season, then return the sausages to the pan. Remove from the heat and arrange the potatoes over the top in one layer. Dot with some butter and a grind of black pepper then cook in the oven for 50 minutes or until the potatoes are browned and tender.