Pumpkin and Chorizo Salad
Put seasonal pumpkin to innovative use in this colourful and healthy salad. It’s great served warm, but any leftovers can be stored in the fridge overnight and served chilled.
200g chorizo sausage, in one piece
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp hot sweet chilli sauce
150g mangetout, trimmed and halved lengthways
150g cherry tomatoes, halved
25g pumpkin seeds
1. Cut the pumpkin into small chunks, discarding the skin and seeds. Cut the chorizo into small dice.
2. Mix together 1 tbsp of oil, lemon juice and chilli sauce.
3. Blanch the mangetout in boiling water for 1 minute. Refresh in a colander under cold running water and drain.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the pumpkin for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the chorizo and fry gently for a further 6-8 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
5. Add the cherry tomatoes and mangetout and mix together, heating for 1 minute. Turn into a salad bowl, pour over the dressing and toss the ingredients together. Serve scattered with pumpkin seeds.
Lightly cooked sugar snap peas or fresh peas make a good substitute for the mangetout. For a herb flavoured dressing mix chopped herbs such as chives, coriander, and parsley and use instead of the chilli sauce.